Sunday, July 3, 2011

MacGyver and the Nip-Napper

MacGyver

My oldest seems to take after his father in many respects, both positive and negative. My husband is an amazing 'Jack-of-all-trades' and fixes, or finds someone to help him fix nearly everything around our house. His ability to repair & do handiman jobs is one of the traits I appreciate so much. Our son is trying to be just like his Papa. He takes whatever 'tools' he finds, sometimes hit toy tools and sometimes random utensils from the kitchen, to 'fix' his toy cars and trucks. The other day, he informed me that he was 'fixing' his toy car. I mumbled some positive reply and continued with the laundry. Sometime later, he appeared with a door-less, window-less toy car and proudly informed me that he had 'modified' his BMW. I asked what tools he had been using and he produced our wine opener and a tea-ball-strainer. How my 3 year old  managed to remove toy car doors & a windshield with those household objects, I will never know. I think that even MacGyver would have been impressed with those skills!
The 'tools' and removed car parts

The Nip-Napper

My husband and I LOVE the affectionate kisses, slobbers and hugs we receive from our two boys. As they have grown, those small acts of affection have changed from an open-mouthed, silent, slobbery sucking action to a quick hug or a silent peck on the cheek. Our favorite is the "AAAHH-BWAAAH!" kiss that our boys gave us from around 10 months through to 2 years. My husband enjoyed it so much, that he re-taught our 3 year old to kiss that way, even though he had started kissing normally with a slight smacking sound. Our younger son has just started giving those slightly slobbery "AAH-BWAH" kisses. He seems to notice that we like them & enjoys giving them to us repeatedly, especially after naps. However, recently he's started starting with the "AAH" part of the kiss and leans in as though to kiss, but does a large chomp on my shoulder or cheek. With only 4 teeth, he manages to clench his jaw so tightly that it inflicts a huge amount of pain. As a result, I shriek "OUCH!" He lets go & smiles at me. He got what he wanted: an exciting response. Regardless, we will continue to enjoy all those physical tokens of affection while we can because we know that a day will soon come when they won't want to be hugging or kissing us anymore.

1 comment:

  1. awww.... I so love the story about GL and the taking apart of the car. I'm so often so completely baffled at kids and what they are able to do. That one made me laugh and shake my head a little :)
    and i love baby kisses too!! hilarious that he retaught GL how to do that. I dont blame him!

    ReplyDelete