Wednesday, June 8, 2011

One of THOSE days.

Well, it wasn't all bad, but the latter part of the afternoon was really one of THOSE days. Right after his friend left, my oldest, not wanting to leave the couch during the epic & gripping film 'Toy Story', decided to pee right where he was. How he got it on 4 cushions (2 seat cushion & 2 back cushions), I do not know! I tried to get him to go to the toilet to change & we had a meltdown. No, not just a minor crying episode. This was a full-blown, kicking & screaming, throwing & hitting tantrum. It lasted ages. I tried EVERYTHING.... talking, changing rooms, cuddling, quiet time, shower, my bed, calling Papa on the phone, etc. However, because there was so much screaming and upset, the little guy wasn't getting any attention and decided to scream as well. He wasn't hungry or overtired... just in a foul mood, I guess. Eventually my 'knight in shining armour' arrived and I retreated to my neighbor's with the younger one and the excuse of some books that I had promised to pass on to her. At least there was a bit of tranquility at her house, and by the time I returned, at ours as well.

The garden is suffering in the heat. Even the 'summer plants' I purchased recently are not doing so well. I think I will take the self-starters from last year's summer plants that keep popping up here and there, and transplant them to places where I want them. At least I know they'll last the summer.

I was so impressed with myself for getting dinner on (just Mushroom risotto... I make my own version, but here's a simple recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/reallyeasymushroomri_70240), making dessert (home-made butterscotch pudding http://www.canadianliving.com/food/butterscotch_pudding.php) and baking simple cookies (a cross between macaroons and amaretti) all while having my oldest's friend over. Oh, I failed to mention that I fed my youngest his dinner as well (pureed apricots, chicken and butternut)!

Now, I'm off to do dishes and clean up the kitchen. No deep thoughts tonight! I am in desperate need of a tall adult beverage... something strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment