Monday, June 20, 2011

Inflation, deflation and re-flation

Deflation
My poor garden has been 'deflated' by the never ceasing hot winds which bring heaps of dust, sand and rubbish into our yard. Despite the high walls and copious watering, my poor plants look weary and withered. I've spent several trips to the 'plant souq' asking for plants that will last the summer, but to no avail. They all seem to 'deflate' in a few days. I found some hardier looking varieties today, so we'll see how they survive.

Deflation and Re-flation
My oldest son recently asked, "Mama, are you putting on your swim-boobies?" as I was putting on my bikini top. I explained what a bikini is, but the term 'swim-boobies' stuck. I suppose that lovely push-up bikini top or 'personal floatation device' (bought at La vie en Rose Aqua ) which helps my 'girls' stay 'afloat' instead of sinking down to my navel has been aptly re-named.

Inflation
The cost of living where we live has been increasing dramatically. As we watch our grocery bills soar and other expenses from gas to education rise, we wonder how long we can afford this. We've started a budget to keep track of exactly where everything goes. We estimated our expenses in particular areas and set a rough budget. We re-evaluated the budget a couple times, but in several areas (groceries, being one), we are forever over-spending. Part of the increase in spending is due to rising eating habits of growing young boys, and the increase in diaper sizes. However, the cost of a pack of diapers, and the cost for meat and veggies has also increased. At the moment, we have been managing to save a little, but we're not sure if the benefits of being here (monetary) outweigh the deficits (support of family and friends) anymore. When the boys start school, we will definitely be heading somewhere new.

No comments:

Post a Comment