Sunday, June 12, 2011

Why Men avoid Doctors

I have made a very significant discovery about why men avoid going to the Doctor. It all starts as children (doesn't everything?) when their mother's, who are converned about 'preventative medicine', begin dragging them to see the Doctor for colds, coughs, bumps and bruises. The bumps and bruises seem to increase as the boys grow. Then come the stitches and broken bones. A book which I recently read about raising boys (The Wonderful World of Boys) said that the primary goal of guardians and parents of boys was to keep them alive and from harming themselves or others until they are of legal age to take on that responsibility themselves. Needless to say, that in itself (never mind the instilling of values, etc) is an immense task. Mothers end up taking their sons to the emergency room far more often than they will take their daughters. Boys just like to push their physical limits. Back to men. It is my theory that since men have had SO many unpleasant experiences in Doctor's offices, clinics and hospitals as children, they try to avoid those places as adults. This is quite understandable! My own son has never enjoyed going to the Doctor, but since his stitches, he REALLY doesn't want to go - Case in point!

I made an easy & yummy lamb stew last night  from an Annabel Karmel cookbook I pureed it into soup for my boys, took out the meat chunks for my husband and everyone enjoyed it. I also made healthy brownies with spinach and carrot purees in them (from the Deceptively Delicious cookbook I mentioned in an earlier post).

No comments:

Post a Comment